Peace of the Pie

In June 2010, I quit my job so I could bike around Europe for the summer. I planned to return to San Francisco in September. 'Sure the economy's rough,' I figured, 'but I'll find something.'

Monday, August 14, 2006

Donde estan los hippies?

I'm in Washington D.C., where our orientation is taking place. Today was the first day, and the first day that I met all of my fellow volunteers. I expected some spectrum of hippies: the activists, the vegans, the spiritual ones, etc.

I met just about everyone today. Not a hippie to be found. In fact, many would be right at home in the USF school of business. (Various readers, take from that what you will). There are 37 of us, divided into two groups: economic development (me) and environmental protection. The development crew consists of, from whom I've met so far, quite a few business majors and others hoping to keep their palms clean. Of course, I'm extrapolating quite a ways from one night of bonding (and hoping none of the development comrades read this blog). So far, and I emphasize so far, I like the guys on the environmental side of our group. Lots of engineering majors.

So right now, it feels like the first few weeks of freshman year of college: everyone's being really friendly, but you can see the political wheels spinning behind their eyes. 'Should I go sit over there or stay here?' Everyone sizing everyone else up. It's only a matter of time until clicks set in and everyone has been through college already and they know that 37 is too big for one group, so they know it too. I'm not claiming malice, most of these people seem like good people, but they all (myself included) want to be on whatever side of the line they want to be on when the walls of fraternization come down.

For example, sitting right behind me right now, and probably reading this email, is the guy who is sharing my room with me. So, for this time in DC, we are bros. I bet we don't hang out later, but for now, we're bros. I'll write more from Panama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home