Peace of the Pie

In June 2010, I quit my job so I could bike around Europe for the summer. I planned to return to San Francisco in September. 'Sure the economy's rough,' I figured, 'but I'll find something.'

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bucket shower

It has to be experienced to be believed, but here in Santa Clara, when it rains hard enough, the water stops working. This is some kind of Panamanian Riddle of the Sphinx that I am determined to crack by the time I leave. So on Sunday I found myself dipping the small bucket into the larger bucket to try to get clean. A few of us have only bucket showers, so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

After my bucket shower, I had pretty much the rest of the day free. Íran, who lives next door, convinced me to come with him to the next town to watch him play in his weekly soccer league. Earlier in the week, in a misguided moment of honesty, I had told him that I don´t have a girlfriend. I should have A) lied, or B) told him I had no interest in a girlfriend, because he proceeded to introduce me to every female that he knew in town. There were quite a few, and Íran made it clear that his friends were more interested in citizenship than getting to know the real Adam.

After we got back to Santa Clara, I went fishing with younger Íran and Gabriel like we had talked about all week. No fishing poles, just a hook and line wrapped around a wooden block, meaning the action needed to cast the hook required more coordination than I brought with me to Panama. They caught three fish between the two of them, while my role was to trick the fish into thinking that the hooks are a good and safe source of food. I caught nothing.

Later that night, I took the plunge. Despite the fact that I sat on a patio chair with a cracked rearview mirror in my hand, my haircutter (I wouldn´t say hairdresser exactly) was very professional. I felt like I was joining the army and the rest of the week I had to remind myself with every befuddled look recieved, that I looked like a completely different person. I don´t have a mirror anywhere in the house, so the biggest difference for me is that it takes less time to dry myself after showers. Sorry, no pictures yet.

It is Thursday night, and tomorrow I leave for El Valle. Everyone is visiting a volunteer at their site this weekend, and so Dave and I are catching the 5:30 bus into Panama City so we can get to El Valle by 9:30. This volunteer, Alan, wants us to be there that early for a practice tour he is giving in his town. Now, I don´t know Alan, never met him, but his request does not bode well for our future relationship. El Valle is supposed to be nice, so I´ll take some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home