Peace of the Pie

In June 2010, I quit my job so I could bike around Europe for the summer. I planned to return to San Francisco in September. 'Sure the economy's rough,' I figured, 'but I'll find something.'

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sorry

Because it has been so long between entries, I was going to post twice today, but only after hours of trying was I able to upload even half the pictures I wanted to put up. So there you go.

Tomorrow (Monday) we head off for a two day conference where we will meet our counterpart (Panamanian with whom we'll work closest at our site). After two days of awkward conversation, we head to our sites for the rest of the week. There, we're supposed to figure out which family we'll be living with for our first few months and what we'll be doing initially. Everyone, myself included, is predictably nervous.

And that's the strange thing. When we all left home for DC, I bet most of us were ready to face the solitary challenge that is Peace Corps because we had been mentally preparing for it for so long. But ten weeks of intense, summer-camp-esque training, and the idea of being completely alone is somewhat terrifying. Yes, we've learned a lot blah blah blah, but maybe part of that Thoreaian (?) edge has been coddled away.

I still feel somewhat ready, but I guess I'll have a much better idea of how ready I was after the fact. I'll write then, when I get back. And hopefully I'll have pictures.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It´s amazing how much bonding can take place in such a short amount of time when you´re all stuffed into uncomfortable and new situations. I feel the same way as the revolving door of our volunteer house continues turning. We lost our Frenchi last week and this week the two Irish boys go. Never any time to settle into something. Although I suppose pretty soon you will probably feel beyond settled in your site, huh? Miss you...

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was from Corinna.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home